Tuesday 10 October 2017

I am independent from all political parties


I am independent, free and over 21 and not a member of nor beholden to any political party. There is no reason that I can see why those who are members of a political party should assume they have the right to speak and act on my behalf. I DO NOT CONSENT! But why do so many others insist on ignoring that? Why do so many behave towards me and others in such a way that shows my consent, given or withheld, is superfluous?

This doesn't mean that I've resigned from society. Quite the opposite. But it DOES mean that I no longer have a ring in my nose to be led in any way those who have assumed authority choose to lead. I refuse to be a follower but I am becoming quite proficient at being a student. Perhaps more of us should become the same. Let those who would watch over us become the watched.

I am not rebellious by any stretch of the imagination. I choose to live by four essential principles that should, in theory, allow me to live in harmony with my fellow man: BE HONEST; CAUSE NO HARM; BE PEACEFUL; BE RESPONSIBLE.  If these are essential principles, why are they not enough? Why must I be COMPLIANT, too? WHY?
_ _ _ _ _

I travelled to London on Sunday, by car from home to Finchley Central underground station, where I parked, and then by Northern/Piccadilly line to Holborn. NCP car park charge, payable at a machine, was £1.60 but a 'cash surcharge' of 10 pence was added if I paid with cash. The car park  is paved, marked and open to the elements. In the Milton Keynes Central multi-story car park it costs £11.00 a day although it might be less on a Sunday.

The station ticket office was closed but a friendly employee was on hand to guide me through the process of buying a ticket from a machine. "Have you a contactless debit card?" he asked. No, I replied. I do not trust contactless cards. I don't want them so I don't use them but I have a 'regular' debit card. "Oh, that will cost you more." I was incredulous. How much more? "Well, if you pay with a contactless debit card the fare is £5.90 for a day return to Holborn. If you pay with a 'regular' card you will be charged £11.80!" This was my first visit to London in several years and, clearly, it was going to cost me. 

I inserted my debit card and tapped my destination and out popped the required ticket bearing the printed receipted price of £5.90 std. Maybe helpful employee was wrong?  Not so. I called my bank (First Direct) this morning and they confirmed that my card had been debited £11.80 and, no, the bank doesn't charge for using the card. 

It seems to me that the Mayor of London should answer to a charge of authorised theft.


_ _ _ _ _

 Two weeks ago I was invited to attend a court hearing in Bournemouth as a witness/supporter of the defendent in a case involving fraud and an imminent penalty for the defendent of bankruptcy. The risk she faced was that the bank would possess her home if and when the judge declared her bankrupt. 

There was no court as such. The 'meeting' between plaintiff, defendent and 'judge' was to be in judges chambers. Put another way: 'behind closed doors'.

The defendent asked the judge if the hearing could be described as an 'open to the public court' or if it was to be a 'private court'?  She told me that the judge refused to answer and he refused to allow observer/supporters into his chambers. Make of that what you will. 

We gathered in the public waiting area until ushers indicated they wanted us to move into a side room. We declined and asked why they wanted us in there. The answer was please go in there or we shall have to call Security. Why security? We're just waiting to attend the hearing. Putting us in a side room is the equivalent of 'kettling', a police method of controlling an unruly crowd. Two men and four women there to observe how justice works?

Security was called and repeated the request which now had the aura of an instruction. We declined, so they threatened to call police. Why do you need police? We aren't doing anything wrong. But that's what they did and three 'policemen' appeared dressed in black, including stab vest, bearded, tattooed and wearing boots rather than shoes. Not the kind of policeman that would encourage me to ask him the time. 

"Leave the building or you will be arrested," one declared. "Arrested for what?" we asked. "For breach of the peace." It is THAT simple. The policeman is under instruction to keep the peace and he can comply with his instruction by arresting you, hauling you in handcuffs to the police station, and there release you without charge if he so chooses. Peace is maintained, which is good and nobody gets to upset a deputy district judge, which probably isn't good.  They need to be challenged once in a while, I reckon.

And that's what happened. EXCEPT THAT the judge continued in chambers with the plaintiff's counsel, without the defendent and without witnesses. Apparently he declared the defendent BANKRUPT in her absence. AND EXCEPT THAT the desk officer at the police station couldn't say whether or not our associate was being held in the building. We must speak to someone in the custody suite. How? By telephone over there on the wall.

Guess what? The voice on the telephone couldn't confirm or deny whether a named person (we supplied the name) was being held in custody 'on grounds of Data Protection'. You couldn't make it up.

_ _ _ _ _

I know all this is small stuff. But it isn't small stuff for the lady who is now at risk of losing her home because of a judge's decision made behind closed doors. Nor is it small stuff for the grandfather who decides to take his family to London to see the sights. He doesn't know it will cost him DOUBLE just because he doesn't have a contactless debit card. My guess is that this is small stuff which is taking place all over this land.

REALISE WITH REAL EYES THE REAL LIES 
and admit we are being screwed!



No comments:

Post a Comment